The Little Book of Lost Words: Collywobbles, Snollygosters, and 86 Other Surprisingly Useful Terms Worth Resurrecting. By Joe Gillard, Creator of History Hustle
From the back cover:
A handy guide for expressing yourself with history's best words.
Do you ever wish you had the perfect word for a person who boasts incessantly (blatteroon) or only works when someone is watching (eyeservant)? Joe Gillard, founder of the popular online destination History Hustle, has uncovered unique words from the past that are just begging to be brought back into modern use. Complete with hilarious example sentences and cheeky historical art, this collection proves that some things -- from procrastination to sleeping in -- never change.
Fun examples from the book
- Snuggery: a cozy room to Netflix and chill
- Snollygoster: a dishonest politician
- Gongoozler: person who stares; a nonparticipating spectator
- Collywobbles: stomach pain from nervous anxiety
- Doundrins: afternoon drinks
- Groke: to gaze eagerly at someone eating, hoping they'll give you food